Globe Media Excellence Awards finals
After the Catholic Mass Media Awards 2015 finals, attention shifts to the Globe Media Excellence Awards (GMEA) 2015. The Visayas leg of the awards will happen during the Cebu Press Freedom Week celebration this September 2015.
A lot has happened since journalists, bloggers, and social media beat the deadline months ago to join this prestigious annual awards. To keep ourselves abreast, here are 21 things about GMEA 2015 …
Impact of being Visayas-wide
The Globe Media Excellence Awards (GMEA) 2015 is different compared to before what transpired before. While the first, second, and third GMEA had Cebu as its scope, the fourth sought to raise the ante by including entries by journalists, bloggers, and social media influencers in the urban centers of Iloilo City and Bacolod City.
For Globe Telecom communications personnel as well as PRworks, this meant more time and efforts in reaching out a wider area for entries including the screening committees to select the nominees.
For journalists, bloggers, and social media influencers in the Visayas and Mindanao, this meant vying for an awards with more prestige and honor than before.
Recognition of Bacolod and Iloilo nominees
The nominees from the cities of Bacolod and Iloilo will be recognized before their peers separate gatherings. The Appreciation Lunch for Bacolod City will be on September 21 at the Sugarland Hotel. In Iloilo City, the Appreciation Lunch will be on September 22 at the Diversion21 Hotel.
Members of the Bacolod and Iloilo screening committee will likewise be recognized and honored during the events.
Announcement of Cebu nominees
Globe Telecom will be releasing the list of Cebu nominees. We hope to publish the list in all the local dailies as well as online early during the Press Freedom Week which starts September 20 and ends on the 26th. We hope to publish the complete list of Visayas nominees in PRworksPH.com the day of the Globe Telecom announcement.
7 GMEA Visayas judges
The panel of judges are seven independent and successful professionals in the field of communications, business, academe, and social development advocacy headed by Ma. Theresa Sederiosa, corporate communications consultant of the Visayan Electric Company (VECO). The members are:
- Ahmed Cuizon, assistant general manager of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) and former LTFRB 7 regional director;
- Mary Anne Alcordo-Solomon, owner and CEO of Alcordo Advertising and member of the board of trustees of the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI);
- Donna Rose Ratilla, president of the Iloilo Chamber of Commerce and Industry;
- Benjamin Torre, University of Saint La Salle Bacolod professor;
- Auke Idzenga, management committee head of the Alternative Indigenous Development Foundation; and
- Francis Carreon, program officer of World Vision.
Finals night at Grand Convention Center in Cebu
Only the judges will know who the Visayas-wide winners are until that moment when their names will be revealed on Final’s Night. Who the winners are will be a surprise for the rest of us at the Grand Convention Center Ballroom 1 and 2 at 6 pm on September 24, 2015.
We plan to post a complete list of winners before midnight of September 24, 2015.
It will be a memorable evening where beautiful members of the community of journalists, bloggers, and social media influencers will in business casual attire. Heavy cocktails will be served.
Please RSVP to PRworks 09177919545/09177919594/(032) 4167159/info[at]prworksph.com.
How about the GMEA Students’ Forum?
Schedule and venue
Of course, the Globe Media Excellence Awards Students’ Forum on “Role of Technology and Social Media in Journalism” will happen at the UP Cebu AS Conference Hall at 10-12 am also on September 24, 2015.
Among other questions, the forum seeks to answer how new technology and social media can help advance media excellence.
Globe Telecom corporate communications head Yoly Crisanto will welcome the forum panelists and participants. With Sun.Star Cebu tech columnist and 2012 GMEA judge Wilson Ng as moderator, the forum panelists are:
- Kathlene Cacho (SunStar) – Reporter of the Year for Print awardee 2012
- Marian Christie Codilla (Cebu Daily News) – Reporter of the Year for Print &
Feature Story of the Year for Print 2012 awardee
- Mike Acebedo Lopez (Freeman) – Columnist of the Year 2013 awardee
- Ruben Licera (iNewMedia) – Blogger of the Year & Social Media Advocate
- Patricia Andrea Patena (TV5) – Reporter of the Year for TV & Explanatory
Reporter of the Year for TV 2014 awardee