Globe Media Excellence Awards updates
Globe Telecom has announced the roster of shortlisted entries for the 2016 Globe Media Excellence Awards (GMEA) in Visayas – Eighty-seven (87) entries from 789 entries submitted by print, online and broadcast journalists, columnists, bloggers, and social media influencers from Cebu, Bacolod, and Iloilo.
Reporter of the Year for Print
- Joey Gabieta for “Kenneth’s battlecry: Tindog, Tacloban” (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Nestor Burgos Jr. for “Semirara’s cycle of tragedy, hope” (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Ador Mayol for “Wrinkled Hopes” (Cebu Daily News)
- Kristine Quintas for “Testimony moves IEC delegates” (The Freeman)
- Carla Gomez for “Sugar, drug smuggling increase as polls near” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Chrysee Samillano “Solar power project endorsement sought” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Marchel Espina for “Negros Occidental under state of calamity due to El Nino” (Sun.Star Bacolod)
- Glenda Sologastoa for “Excessive extraction: MGB warns of groundwater depletion” (Panay News)
- Louine Conserva for “Priest mums on ‘treasure hunt’” (The Daily Guardian).
Columnist of the Year
- Atty. Gloria Ramos for “Basura pa more” (Cebu Daily News)
- Aven Piramide for “Cebu center of culture” (The Freeman)
- Bong Wenceslao for “DepEd’s mother tongue and Cebuano” (Sun.Star Cebu)
- Betsy Gazo for “Bringing excitement into our museums” (Sun.Star Bacolod)
- Carlos Leonardia for “Kindness” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Elsie Jolingan for “Goodbye, My Friends” (Negros Daily Bulletin)
- Sammy Julian for “Geopolitical complexities” (Panay News)
- Ike Seneres for “Trees can supply five basic needs plus more” (Panay News)
- Julia Carreon-Lagoc for “Big 3 little words: ‘humane, just, fraternal’” (Panay News).
Photojournalist of the Year
- Tonee Despojo for “Demolition” (Cebu Daily News)
- Ferdinand Edralin for “State of Emergency” (Cebu Daily News)
- Paul Jun Rosaroso for “Firefighter struggle” (The Freeman)
- Ronnie Baldonado for “Sweet Negros” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Andy Alvarez for “Rice farmers in Negros Occidental are being advised to take precautions against leptospirosis” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Ricky Alejo for “Comfort” (The Daily Guardian)
- Archie Rey Alipalo for “Ruins” (Panay News)
- Guijo Duenas for “Pretty girls perform during the Hirinugyaw-Sugidadonay Festival of Calinog, Iloilo on Jan 31, 2016. The annual festival is a colorful showcase of the culture of the Panay-Bukidnon indigenous peoples” (Panay News)
- Joselito Villasis for “STOP THE DESECRATION! In front of the San Joaquin Camposanto, protesters call for an end to the defilement of the national cultural treasure” (Panay News).
Explanatory Story for Print
- Cherry Ann Lim for “Breaking child labor” (Sun.Star Cebu)
- Kristine Quintas and May Miasco for “K to 12: Are we ready for Senior High?” (The Freeman)
- Gilbert Bayoran for “Block farms in La Castellana unites two farmers’ groups” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Leo Udtohan for “Rice bowl of Central Visayas is near empty” (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Nestor Burgos Jr. and Carla Gomez for “One Negros: More than a convenience issue” (Philippine Daily Inquirer); Nestor Burgos Jr. for “Taking the Visayas votes by strategy” (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Nestor Burgos Jr. and Joey Gabieta for “P18.4B in ‘Yolanda’ emergency aid distributed late” (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Carmel Loise Matus and Nestor Burgos Jr. for “A costly proposition for integration” (Philippine Daily Inquirer).
Reporter of the Year for Radio
- Astra Zina Logarta for “New Home for Yolanda Victims” (DYHP)
- Rene Borromeo for “Coal-fired Power Plant sa Sawang Calero gibsaura sa konseho sa dakbayan sa Sugbo taliwala sa pagsupak sa katawhan” (DYLA)
- Rowena Capistrano for “Magtutudlo wala mobiya sa iyang mga tinun-an bisan nalakip na kasunog iyang panimalay” (DYRF)
- Joel Franco for “Mga mangunguma dapat indi magpadaso-daso nga magtanum sang humay kun wala sang pondo nga tubig” (DYRI)
- Runelyn Jamolo for “Bayanihan kontra maternal deaths” (DYLL)
- ; Albert Giner for “Ang mga iskwater nga taga-ciudad”; Jemlo Victosa for “Palangabuhian sang mga nagapanginhas sa Brgy. Banago apektado sang pagleak sang oil depot”; Agnes Apostol for “Turon with Love” (DYHB).
Public Affairs Story for Radio
- Atty. Ruphil Bañoc for “Basura Bayloan og Grocery/Recycling of Waste Materials” (DYHP)
- Serge Santillan and Jeony Bigay for “Ginapatindog nga poultry ginareklamo wala sang permit, makahalit sa mga pumuluyo sang isa ka hacienda sa Silay City (Part one)” (DYHB);
- Elena Pabiona for Interview with Dondi Alikpala on Drought Responde and Supply-Demand Management in Planning in Iloilo forum (DYLL).
Reporter for Television
- Lesley Vestil for “Libud Suroy” (TV5 Cebu)
- Jinky Rosit for “El Nino sa Sugbo” (TV5 Cebu)
- Alan Domingo for “Homeless CICC” (GMA7 Cebu)
- Yasmin Dormido for “NPA Releases RPA-ABB Captive” (ABS-CBN Bacolod)
- Jose Marty Go for “48MW Solar Power Plant Inaugurated in Manapla” (ABS-CBN Bacolod).
Explanatory Story for Television
- Jinky Rosit for “Guns and goons” (TV5 Cebu)
- Alan Domingo for “Krisis sa tubig” (GMA7 Cebu).
Reporter for Online News Portal
- Ador Mayol for “Shining through the haze” (Cebu Daily News)
- Santino Bunachita for “ONLINE PETITION: Cebu Ocean Park project draws flak” (Cebu Daily News)
- Nickolas Earl Tubo for “El Niño, a weather phenomenon” (Sun.Star Network Exchange)
- Marchel Espina for “Negrenses urged to wear masks, stay home after Kanlaon ash eruption” (Rappler)
- Carla Gomez for “Biggest solar farm in SE Asia game changer for Neg. Occ.” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Keith Brandon Cari-an for “120,000 Negros kids to be immunized” (Visayan Daily Star)
- Perla Lena for “Guimaras takes pride of its first Aeta registered nurse” (Philippine News Agency)
- Raymart Escopel for “How much do young people save and spend?” (Panay News)
- Merianne Ereneta for “Where’s the promised water?” (Panay News)
Blogger of the Year
- Claire Algarme for “Charitable Institutions to Visit in Bacolod”
- Glady Reyes for “Rise Up For Rice! What Ordinary Negrenses Can Do to Help the Rice Industry”
- Maria Sigrid Lo for “Food Safety: Top Concern for Bacolod Restaurants”
- Gloria Moralidad for “The Modern Kerida: Extramarital Affairs in the New Iloilo”
- Spencer Ravago for “The Right To Abstain, or 4 Reasons Why You DON’T Have to Vote”
- Joseph Batcagan for “From wizards to cosmo: a 21st century Ilonggo story on business and survival”
- Nancy Cudis-Ucag for “The Extraordinary Tales of Some Trees”
- Christian Literatus for “Bisdak Explorer’s Top 10 Free Travel Apps For Your Next Adventure”
- Janine Ella Anongos for “Blog Branding Series: Elements of Blogging”
Social Media Campaign
- Maria Sigrid Lo for “Bacolod Needs More Plants in Commercial Areas”
- Stephen Kenneth Eliserio for “National Cleanup Day of Let’s do it! Philippines in Negros Island and Western Visayas”
- Apolinario Carino for “Save Mt. Talinis Movement”
- Gloria Moralidad for “Traveling Tales x SM City Iloilo”
- Global Shapers Cebu for “The Dream Campaign”
- Youth for a Livable Cebu for “Save Our Rivers Campaign”
- SugbuPH for “5-day #ExperienceCebu Photo Challenge”
Social Media Advocate
- Joyce Torrefranca for the post “I got inspired by a kid: Daniel Cabrera”
- Mark Anthony Razonable for “The picture behind every pictures”
- Elgeniel Nangit for “Sirao”
- Glady Reyes for “Sidewalk ginhimo parkingan?”
- Maria Sigrid Lo for “Where to Eat: List of Bacolod Home-Grown Restaurants”
- Jojo Vito for “LET’S PROMOTE BACOLOD CITY, LIKE AND SHARE!”
- Jesa Christine Tamayo for “DPI Photo Race 2015 Highlights”
- Leon Manolo Taclino for “The Philippines’ bet and Iloilo’s very own Angelia Gabrena Ong was named Miss Earth 2015”
- Raoul Danniel Manuel for “Ganito po kami sa UP”
Now on its 5th year, the GMEA continues to recognize excellence in journalism exemplified by members of the print, broadcast, online, and social media in Visayas and Mindanao. Globe first launched GMEA in Cebu and Davao in 2012 as part of its advocacy in supporting press freedom by honoring media practitioners who demonstrate excellence and professionalism in their field of work.
All submitted entries touched on any or a combination of the four (4) Sustainability Focus Areas: care for the environment, innate care for our people, positive societal impact, and digital nation.
This year’s GMEA is anchored on the company’s commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals as part of its advocacy to help create a Wonderful Philippines. “The critical role of media organizations and online communities in forming and shaping public opinion makes it imperative for technology organizations like Globe to encourage excellence in this field as we all aspire to effect societal change,” Globe Senior Vice President for Corporate Communications Yoly Crisanto said.
The participants were allowed to submit up to six entries which were published or aired between May 2015 to April 2016. The Awards Night for the Globe Media Excellence Awards Visayas will be held on September 22, 2016 at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Cebu City as part of the Cebu Press Freedom Week festivities.
PRworks Inc. has been helping GMEA since it began in 2011.
# # #
For more information, please contact:
Yoly C. Crisanto,
Head, Corporate Communications
Globe Telecom, Inc.
Email Address: [email protected]
Globe Press Room: www.globe.com.ph/press-room
Twitter: @talk2GLOBE │ Facebook: www.facebook.com/globephv
GMEA website: www.globe.com.ph/meawards
Around the web
Start making PR work now!
Get in Touch for FREE consultations