TWENTY-FIVE media practitioners and bloggers in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities were among the victims of flash floods wrought by Typhoon ‘Sendong’ over the weekend.
Two of them, unfortunately, lost their lives as the violent flood swept their homes in Iligan. They were Michel Kundiman of dxRJ and Leonisid Alsonado of dxIC-RMN.
The media people affected by the tropical storm are:
- Reuters correspondent Cong Corrales;
- Associated Press photojournalist Erwin Mascariñas;
- Phil. Star correspondent Jigger J. Jerusalem;
- Gerry Gorit of Businessweek Mindanao;
- Mindanao Daily Balita reporter Joe Felicilda;
- Bingo Alcordo of Gold Star Daily;
- Lito Roluna of Gold Star Daily;
- Sun.Star CDO Editor-in-Chief Terry Betonio
- Nicole Managbanag of Sun.Star CDO;
- Business Mirror correspondent Butch Enerio;
- Business World correspondent Rene Michael Baños;
- John Paul Barsopia of Newsline Mindanao;
- Ditas Gualberto of dyIM Radyo ng Bayan;
- Ronald Jagonal of dxIM Radyo ng Bayan;
- John Michael Bustamante of dxJR Radyo Higala;
- Ric Ociones of dxCO Oro Gazette;
- Nef Luczon of GMA 7-CDO; and
- Peterson Bergado of GMA7-CDO.
Bloggers who were likewise victimized by the flash flood in Cagayan de Oro are Michael Abonitalla, BabyJane Lacaba, Eleanor Aguilar, Rob Bana, and Vic Madriaga.
PRWorks Vis-Min is calling on fellow media practitioners and charitable individuals and corporations for donations to help these affected journalists and their families get back on their feet and start living afresh.
Donations will be received at the PRWorks office right across the USC Main gym along Sanciangko st. until Monday, Dec. 26. Please coordinate with Doris (09167369463) or Mafe (09173829016) at 416-7159; or email [email protected] or [email protected]
- When reporters become the reporter. (Edwin Espejo of asiancorrespondent.com)
- Please help the victims of Tropical Storm Sendong. (jessfuentes.wordpress.com)
- Emergency Alert: Typhoon Sendong | Donate Now and Save Lives (silentpal.wordpress.com)
- No Home. No Water. Death All Over. Typhoon Sendong Aftermath (jilliebee.wordpress.com)
- Death toll tops 1,000 (Philippine Star)
- Loloy and Jackie, the mutts who save their owners from Iligan floods (pinkpixie786.wordpress.com)
- Disease stalks survivors (www.mb.com.ph)
This Post Has 12 Comments
I included PRWorks in the list of drop-off points here in Cebu for victims of Typhoon Sendong donations: http://bit.ly/donateforsendongvictims
Thanks Kevin. Doris is coordinating with media groups in CDO and Iligan. She will be in CDO on December 27, 2011 to bring whatever is gathered.
Hi Kevin, we hope you checked out our accounts of our relief activities in subsequent posts. Thanks for your help.
1. In her Facebook comment to this article, Fleire adds Xyza Yape, president of Iligan bloggers, as among those affected.
2. The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) appeals for assistance for affected media colleagues. http://frontliners2009.blogspot.com/2011/12/appeal-for-our-media-colleagues.html
Pingback: Apl.de.ap of Black Eyed Peas Sets To Help Sendong Victims Today « chill 'n chillax
Pingback: [Event] Noël: Pasko ng Pagbibigayan | Human Rights Online Philippines
Pingback: Helping Sendong survivors this Christmas « PRworks Online
Pingback: Christmas Eve 2011: The Best Yet! | In Between Columns
Pingback: Globe’s Libreng Tawag in CDO & Iligan « PRworks Online
Pingback: Sendong survivors refuse to become ‘victims’ « PRworks Online
Pingback: PRworks list of CDO journalists affected by Sendong « PRworks Online
Pingback: Sendong tragedy: miners, loggers call archbishop leftist? « Politika 2013